Monday, November 19

The words in my head

There were a few words floating through my head as my bike's front tire smashed into the just-revealed inside of a car door. I was thinking about the word "snazzy"; which is itself a snazzy word. Actually, I once heard of a distinction between words that seem to describe themselves (like "loopy", "bit", "magniloquent") and those that don't ("abbreviation", "pulchritude", "French"). I believe they were referred to as "autogeneous" and "heterogeneous" respectively. Part the fun was trying to determine what type of word "heterogeneous" was.

I also remember thinking about that old joke:

What do you call a stolen candy bar?
Hot chocolate!

At just the same time as the metal bar at the top of the car door pressed into my chest. I thought: does the target audience of this joke really understand the word "hot" in this context? Seemed a bit slangy to me. As I child I remember having to ask my parents about that one.

But the words in my head were quickly vacated by the stars in my eyes. I doubled over in pain on Shuter street, leaning heavily on my handlebars, and completely out of breath. I pulled the cold morning air into my lungs, and let my vision slowly return. A few moments later I was upright -- my head-done-cleared like an Etch-a-Sketch. Or more poetically: my thoughts as still as a mountain-side lake. And like the first glint of the morning sun on said lake, a single word materialized in my head:

Motherfucker.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like, you know, whatever.