Sunday, July 30

Finicky formatting finesse fantastic

Let's see here. I am trying to ascertain whether or not this function of my blog-machine is actually working. For those of you out there in Blog-land, would you be so kind as to drop me a line and let me know if it is working?

What I am trying to achieve is a subtle gradient in the colour of each of the letters. Ideally each word will start out dark black (or light black, I don't know) and slowly fade letter-by-letter to a rich shade of azure or indigo.

If there is a strong or emotional word in there (like "punch" or "hey"), I would prefer a less abrupt (but nonetheless smooth) transition to puce or a roan red instead. Now, if the word to be emphasized has its origins in another language, then I would like it to be italicized as well, but I would like the letters to slant left instead of right, as I would like to reserve those italics for regular words in the English language that merit emphasis, song titles, and the names of basketball teams.

And if the whole thing could be on a background that slowly changed colours based on the time of day, that would be super.

I am not sure how this aitch-tee-em-ell stuff works, so I can only hope by adding enough backslashes I will achieve decent results. Won't you please tell me if this doesn't work?