Tuesday, January 9

Real letters from real geeks

Dear Research in Motion,

Just yesterday I was installing your Blackberry desktop software (BDS) on my home computer. I would like to take advantage of your media manager to transfer (not download, as some like to call it) some of my music (specifically Rupert Holmes and The Clash) to my Blackberry to listen to while jogging, or while waiting for public transportation, etc. I find listening to music while waiting helps the time go by faster. Of course, I realise time isn't actually going by faster, but only my subjective perception of it. I do understand the difference between changes in spacetime and my experience of the passage of time, thank you very much.

Anyway, when installing the BDS, I noticed that a new encryption key had to be generated as the software did not recognize my device. This was both understandable and commendable, and your dedication to security does not go unnoticed by this user. The next step however, nearly made me spit out a piece of éclair I happened to be eating at the time.

The software insisted I "move my mouse" in order to generate random data for an encryption key. Seriously? Move my mouse? Though I complied (as randomly as possible mind you) I was bewildered and bemused the entire time. I mean, are you sure the typical user's wrist movements are random enough? I began by moving my mouse in small back and forth waves before realizing that many other users would opt for this lazy (albeit easy) motion. Immediately, I began small, counterclockwise circles and some various other unpredictable designs I won't mention here for safety's sake.

I must ask, are you not leaving a bit too much to the user in this situation? When security is concerned, I think one can never be too careful. Perhaps you should encourage the home user to procure a fair die, or define an algorithm based on the name of one's pet. Better safe than sorry, I always say.

Otherwise, please keep up the excellent work.

Respectfully yours,

Harvey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like, you know, whatever.