Monday, March 7

This post was inspired by true events

I have recently seen a slew of movie adverts (trailers, if you will) offering that the film being sold is "inspired by true events." Not a dramatization of a true story mind you, which would be "based on a true story." I think the claim is merely that the idea for the film followed, and was a direct consequence of, actual events occurring in reality.

But isn't every movie inspired by true events? In fact, isn't every narrative work inspired by true events? Fuck it, everything, anywhere, that can be considered art is inspired by true events. For starters, there are no true events. There are events, and events that did not happen are not called "false events." They are called fiction. Sure, some fiction inspires other fiction, but ultimately a "true event" started off the process. That war exists means we can have war movies. And every romance written was probably written by someone who experienced the relevant emotions in reality. They were all inspired by events.

Who gives a shit? Are we that impressed with veracity? If real life was that interesting, why would I shell out over $10 to see a simulation on screen? I could just go to the park, or work, or a public bathroom and watch interesting happenings all around me. But I don't want to do that because that is lame and boring. Art filters out the mundane and polishes and re-packages the fascinating and casts a light on it -- sometimes literally. That's what art is. But don't take time out of my busy day to remind me that the art you're trying to peddle has epistemological grounding in reality. I knew that. And it's hardly a selling point.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like, you know, whatever.