Monday, August 7

Everybody likes jokes

It occurred to me that I don't tell enough jokes. The reason is probably a combination of my not being able to memorize any existing jokes, and my refusal to create any new ones. Since I have not received any word from Garry Trudeau on the whereabouts of my MegaMemory kit, I will have to work on designing my own jests for use at parties, funerals and bar mitzvahs.

A nun walks into a bar, sits down at a stool and orders a bloody mary. The bartender pours her drink and slides it over to her. "I didn't know nuns were allowed to drink," he asked the nun.
"We're not," said the nun, and she ordered another. The bartender complied, and eyed her quizzically.

I guess that wasn't really a joke. Perhaps I will start simpler, with a knock-knock joke:

Knock knock
Who's There?
Who shot
Who shot who?
Who shot Jr? Motherfucker!

Well, that fucking sucked. I'm not sure what happened there. Comedy is tough. Perhaps instead, people could start sharing little nuggets of tragedy. People like drama too. We could tell one-liners like:

Did you know that the incidence of HIV/AIDS in young people is increasing dramatically each year?

My wife used to be an auto mechanic; that is, until she died.

What do you call a child who's parents have both died in a fiery blaze? An orphan with a long hard struggle ahead of him.

Yeah, I think I could get used to these. Tragedy is the new comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like, you know, whatever.